How to attract new customers?
It may seem counterintuitive, but even in the early days of your business when your resources are limited, investing time, money and effort into attracting new clients is crucial. But before you start acquiring new customers, make sure they’ll like what they see when they find you! Here are some tips to attracting new customers.
Getting your first 100 clients is difficult when you do not know how to define your target market. These tips can help narrow down how to brand yourself:
- Company name. Your business’s name should be short, easily recognizable and memorable.
- Domains. Confirm relevant domain names and extensions are available to avoid brand confusion.
- Logo. Hire a pro to design an intelligent logo, complete with a slogan that conveys what you do and a short business description.
- Business cards. Think of business cards as a portable promo that makes you look more professional (brochures can also be useful!).
- Signage. If you have a storefront, be sure to have eye-catching, inviting signage. You might even go for a sidewalk board, or offer free samples outside to draw people in.
- Elevator pitch. An elevator pitch is a run-down of your business and what it’s about that’s brief enough to deliver during an elevator ride.
Now that you’ve taken care of the basics, here are some ways to attracting new customers:
- Networking. Start with your existing network and build from there using word of mouth, email, social media and face-to-face networking to spread the word about your company. Compile a list of would-be customers and update it regularly. Once you’ve had a few clients, turn them into testimonials you can use to grow.
- Email marketing. Email marketing is typically used to market to current or past clients and typically has a 2-3 % response rate. For best results, hire a pro to create engaging copy, and make sure you’re in compliance with the Canadian Anti-Spam Law (CASL).
- Direct mail marketing. Since design and copy are everything here, hire a pro. When done well, direct mail gets you a 5-10 % response rate.
- Postal drops. Consider dropping flyers offering ‘a limited time offer’ in the mailboxes of businesses or homes by postal code.
- Cold calling. It may be intimidating at first, but calling up potential clients equipped with a well-rehearsed script can really stir up interest.
There are many different ways to attract new customers. The strategy that works best will depend on the nature of your product/service, your target customers, and your budget. Work with a YES Business Coach to develop your strategy, then work with them as needed to make sure you follow through. You’ve got this!
Need some extra guidance? Connect with one of our business coaches today.