- Main role of the Special needs camp counselor is to supervise and work with children who have special needs and/or who require shadowing.
- Counselor will oversee the shadow and child's progress and help children integrate and participate in camp activities (ex: Youth with Adhd/Add , Anxiety, Trisomie 21 (Down Syndrome), High Functioning Autism) in our inclusive camp, ages 5-12 years old.. Counselors tasks & Responsibilities will include:
- There will be maximum of 4 children with special needs, per week.
- Regular monitoring of shadows and their campers
- Regular communication with family of camper
- creating stimulating, engaging, fun and educational activities for the campers
- lesson planning
- assisting shadows and their youth on outings Assist child(ren) to participate in all camp activities, according to his or her abilities
- Supervise children
- Greet, acknowledge, and interact with participants (campers ages 5-12) in a friendly, caring and professional manner.
- Report to camp manager & Supervisor and child(ren) parents about the child's progress and daily participation. Ensure that all health and safety criteria, child's needs and parents requests are met and properly followed, including that medications are taken and stored properly.
- interact with participants in a friendly, caring and professional manner.
- Inform the camp director and parents of the child's progress and participation in activities.
- Make sure to follow all health and safety camp guidleines as well as Punblic Health measures in regards to COVID-19
Required experience & Skills:
- Be at least 19 years old
- Enjoys working with children & has prior experience
- Once hired, the employee will have to complete their first aid and CPR certification (Training will be provided, the employee will have to renew their certification once it has expired)
- Will need to complete a background check
- Have studied in programs such as Special Care Counselling, human relations, psychology, Early childhood education, social work, etc. is an asset
- Experience in summer camps / youth programs, recreation work, leadership roles, previous camp counselor experience, working with children, etc. All other related experiences.
- Strong communication skills (English and French)
- Professionalism, patience, positive attitude, organized and able to multi-task
- Living in the West Island is an asset
- Work well in a team setting or independently
- Energetic, and is comfortable working outdoors as well as indoors
- Ability to work in Pierrefonds
Salary: $16.00 per hour