Program Assistant, Generations
The Yellow Door is an intergenerational organization running programs and activities that promote mental and physical health and prevent urban social isolation amongst all ages. The Generations Program brings together youth volunteers and senior members in the hopes of facilitating interpersonal relationships, building seniors autonomy, and offering new perspectives to both parties.
The YD staff work as a closeknit team- every role is equally important in helping us carry out our mission in the community. We are looking for someone to fill this role who is enthusiastic about the position, qualified to carry out the various responsibilities, and fits well with the rest of the team.
Under the supervision of the Generations Program Coordinator, the Generations Program Assistant will be responsible for assisting with various aspects of the Generations Program, including:
- Assessing and processing new senior program members (in person at their home)
- Contacting new and existing members (phone), evaluating their needs, assisting as needed
- Helping to coordinate all YD services for seniors: friendly calls, tech help, friendly errands, accompaniments, friendly visits.
- Helping with various all aspects of Cultural Roulant delivery service, books and other cultural items; supervising volunteers; maintaining inventory; working with community partners (Atwater Library; local HLMs).
- Developing and/or maintaining links with other health & social service agencies (email, phone, community meetings); maintaining accurate records of local resources & other community organizations serving seniors.
- Referring seniors & volunteers to appropriate resources, as necessary.
- Assisting the Program Coordinator, when needed, with immediate/crisis interventions and incidents.
- Screening and training new program volunteers; matching volunteers with seniors; communicating with and supporting all existing volunteers in their various roles.
- Understanding the various services, volunteer roles, and their importance/function.
- Investigating and implementing creative ideas for volunteer recruitment, engagement, and support, including developing a comprehensive online volunteer portal.
- Assisting with the development of a new volunteer and member database, including data entry; investigate possible new tools for volunteer reporting.
- Assist with the collection and management of program data and statistics.
- Playing a key role in organizing special events, including volunteer appreciation and social gatherings for members throughout the year.
- Maintaining transparency and communications with the Program Coordinator; attending staff meetings; working together with all other team members
- CEGEP diploma, undergraduate current student/degree in a related discipline, e.g. gerontology, social services, etc.
- Must be highly organized, able to prioritize and multitask; able to work independently; creative and resourceful
- Must be comfortable initiating and facilitating communications with various groups (email, in-person, phone, community meetings, zoom)
- Experience in volunteer management, managerial experience, and/or working with seniors or vulnerable populations, an asset
- Experience with data entry, statistics, an asset
- Driver’s licence, an asset
- Fluent spoken and written French and English is essential.
- Fluent understanding of the Windows environment and MS Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publishing, is required.
Learn more about the YD’s Generations Program here: www.yellowdoor.org/generations
The contract is for 12 months, starting September 2022, at $19.00/hour for 15 hours/week (approximately 50% of hours in-person); includes 5 weeks paid vacation, plus personal days and flex time.
How to apply: Please send a one-page cover letter and resume, detailing your relevant experiences and interest in the position, to ROCíO BARRENO at [email protected] We will accept and respond to applications and schedule interviews on a rolling basis – do not hesitate to apply! Applications without cover letters will not be considered.