CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:
Are you an emerging artist based in Quebec looking to showcase your work and learn how to monetize your art? You are invited to submit an application to YES’s What the Pop 2023 series.
This series is designed to showcase your work while preparing you to continue to monetize your art.
This project offers support to you, an emerging artist, as you learn how to gain visibility, monetize your art, build your artistic CV, and make connections to your audience, to your community, and to support organizations. This is a free opportunity designed to help you get some experience with selling or performing your art to a public audience.
The exhibitions will be preceded by 3 training sessions exclusively for participating artists: the first will help you craft your story to promote your art, and will be facilitated by journalists from CBC; the second will cover best practices for selling your work as well as pop-up logistics and planning; the third will cover the skills artists need to stay connected to their audiences and each other while managing and understanding the many new tools available to them. All training sessions will be offered online or hybrid. Dates and times can be found in the submission guidelines.
WHAT IS A POP-UP?
Pop-ups emerged in the last decade out of a need for increased accessibility to art and art spaces, all with a Do-It-Yourself philosophy. A pop-up is a short-term, non-traditional exhibition, held in a temporary and often alternative location, and can take on many forms.
WHY WOULD I WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN A POP-UP?
Pop-ups can help you:
- Reach new audiences
- Engage with existing networks in an innovative way
- Test a new product
- Get a better understanding of their audience and clients
- Generate sales and more
And all for free!
WHO CAN APPLY:
- All those who are 18 years of age or older at the time of submission
- All Quebec-based artists, of all disciplines
- Less than 5 years of professional experience in Quebec
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Be present for the duration of the event (depending on your scheduled time slot)
WHEN & WHERE?
Four outdoor pop-up exhibitions, each showcasing a different group of artists, will take place in four different neighborhoods (Hudson, Cote-des-Nieges / NDG, Verdun, and Downtown Montreal) between August and September 2023.
HOW CAN I APPLY?
- If you are an emerging artist with less than 5 years of professional experience in Quebec, read the submission guidelines for important information, including the full eligibility criteria.
- Fill out the registration form, including 5 examples of your work
- Everyone who applies will receive a response, regardless of whether or not they are selected
- Not sure if What the Pop! is right for you? Need help sending your application? Register for our free workshop, Artistic Applications: Common Mistakes and How to Avoid Them. This free workshop takes place on June 7 at 6:30 PM. Reserve your spot here.
Deadline to apply is Thursday, June 15, 2023, at 11:59:59 PM
Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions about the series or the application process. For more information, please email [email protected]
This project is funded by: